- In her budget speech, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has set an ambitious disinvestment target of Rs 1.05 lakh crore for the current fiscal.
- The Niti Aayog has already drawn a comprehensive list of over 40 CPSEs for disinvestment. The list includes profit-making entities as well.
- In PM Narendra Modi’s constituency Varanasi, workers at the Diesel Locomotive Works (DLW) have given an ultimatum of 15 days to the government to rethink over privatisation of the rail coach factories.
- In Punjab, workers at the Rail Coach Factory in Kapurthala are threatening to go on strike.
- Similar protests are taking place in Chittaranjan Locomotive works in West Bengal and Salem Steel Plant in Tamil Nadu.
- The Left-led trade unions are spearheading protests against the government’s decision.
- RSS-backed Bhartiya Mazdoor Sangh has called for a national convention of all PSU workers.
[Courtesy : India Today web news dated 17-07-2019 ]